Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I've been published!



Orlando Magazine emailed me a couple of months ago and asked about one of my photos. I said sure, you can use it. Well, I got my magazine. Pretty cool to see your own photo in print even if it is just a couple of lovebugs LOL!! Here is the photo they used. These things can be very nasty! They have a chemical in them that can strip the paint right off your car.
Here is a little info if you have never seen them. You haven't lived until you go through the lovebug season. They can drive you up the wall. Female on the left. Male is 1/2 inch and female 1/3 inch long.
The love bug (also known as lovebug, march fly, honeymoon fly, telephone bug, kissybug and double-headed bug) (scientific name Plecia nearctica) is a small flying insect common to the southern United States, especially along the Gulf Coast. It is most often known as a serious nuisance to motorists driving at high speeds when the insects spatter on their windshields in great numbers.
Lovebugs are a considerable nuisance to motorists. They congregate in unbelievable numbers along highways and the insects spatter on the windshields and grills of moving trucks and automobiles. Windshields become covered with the fatty remains, and vision is obscured. During flights, the flies clog radiator fins causing cars to overheat. They also get into refrigeration equipment on trucks causing them to malfunction. The fatty tissue will cause pitting of the car's finish if it is not removed within a few days.

2 comments:

chumly said...

After reading this, I am glad I have a windshield on my motorcycle.

Carla said...

LOL chumly you betcha. Hey thanks for finding my blog and leaving a comment!