Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Giant Swallowtail Butterfly egg hatched!

I'm a mom! Well, kind of. LOL It was so exciting! We were looking at the egg this morning and I told Mike I'm sure it is going to hatch soon and it did! While we were looking at it again this afternoon it was hatching right before our eyes! I brought it in until it is a little bigger. I don't want anything to eat it. Right now it is only 1/8 inch long. Even though I have a super macro setting on my camera, it was still hard to get photos. But, here are a few.

This first one is the egg this morning. You can see the caterpillar inside because the egg is no longer yellow, it is clear.

At 2:41 this afternoon it is hatching. Sorry so dark. Couldn't get it in a good light.:

At 2:46 it is out of the egg:

At 3:18 it is eating it's egg sac:
I can't wait until it is a little larger. I will put it back on the tree. I really want to see the chrysalis! If it makes it that long, I will bring the chrysalis back in until the butterfly emerges.

12 comments:

AwtemNymf said...

Look at you go! How neat this is for you and I as the reader- learning about all this! Nice pictures! I can't wait to see the caterpillar emerge into a butterfly. You're a great Mom!
Hugs!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I love you nature pictures!

Unknown said...

That is really cool! I just love the pictures.

Serena Lewis said...

WOW! These pics are AWESOME, Carla! It's great to know that you are watching over it....I sure hope it makes it to the butterfly stage.

Denise Ridel said...

ooh, i really like to look and wait for the transformation... Very nice your blog! I'm lover of nature!
Sorry my english,
beijos

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Carla,

What great photos! Lucky you that you saw that on that leaf. Amazing that you caught the caterpillar emerging from the egg.

Kimonos and Sushi(OLD BLOG) said...

Love the pics of the new arrival. You have been so bust since my last visit.
Andrea

sandy said...

Before I worked my way down my blogroll list I was wondering if the egg had hatched yet! Yeah..congrats... I hope you have help around there with the baby...ha.

Linda Fleming said...

Marvelous photo, Carla! I can't wait to see what happend next. Hope you keep us updated on this little cutie.

Anonymous said...

Great news Carla!! Congrats and I hope this little sweetie makes it to a beautiful butterfly. I'll be watching!

JudiA said...

How exciting, and you are being much too hard on your photography -- those are great pictures. I've never seen anything like that and I look forward to the rest of the story!

Shashi Nayagam said...

Awesome pictures Carla.