Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Stuff

What do you think of this big guy? Mike hollered at me yesterday and said Man! Look at this!
It's almost 2 inches long. It's the larvae of a giant ground beetle. When I put it back out on the ground it crawled upside down (like it is laying in the photo) and is a digger. It lives underground.
I love shadows. My photos don't show what I see though. This was really pretty. You can see the chimes that are hanging outside.
Finally, the little one was a week old yesterday. He has doubled in size and is now more than a quarter inch long. He is a ravenous eater. I have been worried for the ones that are out in the tree because it has been very cold, windy and rainy the last few days. They seem to be doing ok though! This little one is very spoiled. :) He will never have to worry about a fly or wasp laying eggs in him.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Carla, The il Divo song is one of my absolute favorite! My husband's father Cy was also born on St. Patrick's Day - I think that must be why the twinkle in the eye is there! Missing never goes away, does it. I think it gets more so as we get older. Sweet thoughts today for you my friend. E

JudiA said...

OOooh... I love shadows too -- that would be a fun image to play with levels. And hooray for spoiled pets! (I hope to be one some day, LOL.)

We could have a face-off with your larva and one of our banana slugs to see which is ickier...

Unknown said...

Fabulous pictures! They really are big and the little one has grown quite a bit.

Linda Fleming said...

I just love these bug photos- so interesting! Nice shadow photo- that red hanging lantern is so pretty.

Vickie said...

I love the your insect photos! The shadow picture is great!

Shashi Nayagam said...

What interesting photos. The other day I saw some bugs on my plants they were green in colour. I know they are ravenous creatures as they eat up our rose bushes and clematis plants so have to kill them (sorry) now and again. I saw several on a plant and I was going to spray them but the cold spell came and the snow so I thought that would kill them but amazingly they survived. Had to get rid of them though they ruin the plants.

sandy said...

hey that's cool, the larvae...and glad to read the update ...I like the windchime through the shade.

Serena Lewis said...

wonderful pics, carla! i love that you are overseeing the growth stages of the caterpillar. :)